A Travel wardrobe based on a capsule wardrobe is the best way to pack light. Wouldn’t it be great to just use a carry-on?
- Plan around a color scheme so that all pieces coordinate. Neutral colors work best. Your pieces do not need to be all solids. Mix some prints in, but use sparingly.
- Select items that are light weight, wash easily, and don’t wrinkle.
- Think layering for more options with each piece.
- For 7-10 days: I love the 5, 4, 3 guide: 5 tops, 4 bottoms, 3 dresses, 3 shoes,
Here’s some ideas for your travel needs:
Cruises, Couples Get Away, Girls Weekend Wardrobe Ideas
I was pleasantly surprised to find that Vacay has taken the guesswork out of putting a beautiful wardrobe capsule together.
Their formula is 5 + pieces plus 2 of your own for a completely interchangeable wardrobe for 14 days.
Need color on that body before the cruise? I do not like self-tanners for a variety of reasons, one being I seems to be allergic to all of them. A few years ago, I found Tarte’s Maracuju Rainforest Glow Body Perfector and haven’t looked back! I love this product – not just for travel, but for the everyday. Check our more recommendations Resources & Coupons.
Hiking, Biking, Outdoors Trips Wardrobe Ideas
- First decide what you are packing in based on the anticipated activities.
- Questions to consider:
- Will you be hiking with everything you bring on the trip?
- Will you be hiking on day trips only, leaving the bulk behind at camp?
- Will you need any other type of clothes on the trip (special dinners or meetings)?
- For outdoor based activities, select clothing that is wicking. You will stay comfortable and can quick-wash & dry as needed.
- Don’t overpack. Plan on re-wearing everything you pack.
- Comfort is king.
- Shoes: Only pack the tested, comfortable hiking shoes or boots. Blisters from brand new hiking shoes will not only be painful, but will impair your enjoyment – guaranteed.
- Clothing: Can you move freely, do they fit properly, and are they multi-use?
- Undergarments: Only bring the most comfortable.
Tourist Destination Wardrobe Ideas
For those purely tourist and sightseeing trips:
- Research the typical weather patterns for your travel dates online at weather.com and pack accordingly.
- Think comfort.
- If you are planning to walk the streets of Rome for days, only pack broken-in, comfortable shoes.
- Think layers.
- Pack a lightweight sweater/cardigan/jacket for cold flights, chilly mornings and freezing museums. You can also dress-up just about any outfit with a cute cardigan and scarf or necklace.
- Pack camis that can be worn as a tank, solid shirts that go with all the pants or skirts, and a couple of pants and skirts. For very casual trips, don’t forget shorts and swim suits.
- Lay all the outfits out and try to eliminate the extras. If you are not planning on a dressy event, don’t pack dressy clothes. Leave room in your checked back for purchases abroad.
- My rule of thumb is if 50 pounds is allowed on your checked back, try to stay under 35 pounds when you go.